Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Another Lobang!

Dear all,

Let me first relate to you my trauma from yesternite~. I found myself having 4 students in their early to mid 20s , sitting in my dining room. 2 guys and 2 girls. 3 out of the 4 were really horrendous. They utterly lacked the basic understanding of the rules of the English Language. One of the guys could not even spell or read properly. I admit, the book I had bought them to teach Grammar with is much too difficult.
And the weirdest thing is, you know how Chinese have difficulities pronouncing their "l"s and "r"s??? This guy WROTE them wrongly! I asked him to write 'l', and he would pen 'r'. I am AMAZED. To date, this is the most challenging student in all of my years of teaching. Errmm.. to further illustrate the shock I suffered last night, I noticed that this fella even pronounced his surname , "Koh" wrongly! *gasp*

Malaysia should quickly move their medium of teaching in schools to English or suffer the repercussions of an inadequate labour force. Of course, my sample size isn't the most appropriate, but aren't the results appalling?!!? Apparently a "bold move" was undertaken by the Ministry of Education in 2003 when the ministry introduced the teaching of science and maths in English. However, sadly, today (1 April 08)'s newspapers announced that the "policy is yet to be fully implemented" and the ministry is carrying out an assessment of the programme only now.
Oh well, I guess this means more tuition jobs for me! Muahahahaha *evil laffter*

Anyway, I can't hide the glee anymore lah. We have a new addition to our family. :D Email me if you want details :D

This morning, my new whiteboard came, whilst I was baking my butter cookies in my spacious oven in my airy kitchen. It replaced the kiddo one we had accidentally ordered. Haaaa. now I can finally give PROPER lessons already. (errr but must buy marker pens first)

Then the phone rang (rinnnnnnnnnnnnnng - cannot write this in the O Levels hor!) and the caller was a Singaporean living in our condo!! My other tuition kid's mum had given her my no. (n she had seen my advert on the noticeboard too) and she wants me to teach her little one (yes he's little - 5 years old!) how to write in English properly! Aiyo so cute!!!! I can't wait. That's going to be a challenge as well as the youngest child I had ever taught was in Primary school (and I was in JC then hor). But I think I will have LOADS of fun! yay

To date, my tuition 'clients' are : 5 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 5-year-old! hahahah Now isn't business booming? :P I should have just been a tutor in Singapore and earned all the big bucks. Now I am stuck here earning ringgit and explaining English terms in Mandarin. HAHAHAhahahHAhahahah. *shakes head in resignation*

I shall go and relax now. Fixing up the whiteboard was tough on my small lil' fingers. But it's done!

No comments: